Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009: i'm not good for me

Well. What can I say?

Happy New Years! Happy Holidays! Why yes, I do have medical insurance!!

By some stroke of dumb fate, I found myself on the first of the new year in a hospital...again. 

January 1, 2008, 3pm: I arrive at Virginia Beach General with a broken fibula and ankle, right leg. 

January 1, 2009, 3am: I arrive at VCU Medical Center with a broken clavical, left shoulder. 

I won't go into the gory details of what happened at the ER, but I will say that in my broken, yet drunken state, I must have been the most responsive and polite patient being treated. The inebriation that I had bestowed upon myself allowed me to greet the ambulance crew who picked me up from my hotel on E. Canal Street, downtown Richmond, VA, with a hearty "Happy New Years! Looks like ya'll are doing better than me, sorry for having you come out at such an odd hour." 

The handful of nurses and/or doctors who I talked to or asked questions or asked for a sip of water must've been confused by my demeanor. I suppose they had already gotten past the idea that they were working on a holiday (of course, someone does have to do it). I, on the other hand, felt extremely terrible that I had gone out, tripped over my drunken self and inflicted this injury that required medical attention. I profusely apologized to any of the medical staff that provided me care as well as did my best to pay attention at all times and ask important questions so they knew I indeed was giving them my undivided attention. 

6 weeks in a sling. Does not require surgery for functionality but can be performed for aesthetic purposes (I'm not sure if the current bump my collar bone is creating will lower itself by much). Percocet for the pain, which is surprisingly not that bad (much less worse than either of my ankle/leg fractures). 

My thanks go out to the staff of the VCU Medical Center who treated my sorry ass for having to take me in on New Years, to the front desk employees at the Crowne Plaza hotel (which I only slept at for 2 hours) for calling the hospital, and Gerald, the shuttle driver who picked me up from the hospital at 6 in the morning, being kind despite all my apologies for making him pick me up.

One last thank you goes to the man working the graveyard cleaning shift in the hospital lobby. Without realizing it, I had gone to the hospital without shoes on (nor a shirt) and while waiting for Gerald to pick me up, I paced the lobby in my socks. The man cleaning approached me asking "Hey man, it's a cold one out there, what size shoes do you wear?" I didn't realize till just then that I didn't have my shoes. I reassured him I had a ride and would not need shoes, but unless I'm mistaken, he had it in his mind that he might find me a pair of shoes so I could walk somewhere without freezing my feet. Others saw me in my under-clothed state, but this person was the only to inquire or be worried towards me about it. Thank you. 

As I sit here typing, broken, relying on chemical drugs, I thank this man for setting the precedence of what I hope I can make my 2009 for others. 

Happy New Years, go help someone you don't know. 

2 comments:

  1. MEGA BUMMER! hope you have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goo!
    unfortunate about your shoulder, man. but it's good you weren't an drunken ass to everybody. that was good of you.

    ReplyDelete

shred

shred
My first show woot! 11/07