Wednesday, January 21, 2009

failure; or to succeed

So brief background and how I chose this subject.

While catching up on some friends blogs during my "lunch break", I was shocked to find out that the one blog I was most excited about reading for the next 2 months had essentially already ended. I was reading from the oldest post I had not yet read to the most recent (which I assume most people do) and found out that a 2 month long solo cycling journey across the southern United States had lasted only 3 days. Mechanical issues, equipment "misplacement" and bodily injury contributed to the demise of this journey, but certainly not of my friend who endured these hardships.

So failure. I'm scared of it. I will admit this.

It turns out that my "new" definition of failure is a lot less horrible than previously interpreted. By "new" I mean I just thought this up while finishing off the last of my Seagram's Ginger Ale (getchya some, it's good). Failure is the perception of being less than you are for coming up short on a goal. I don't think this sounds too bad and I already feel a little bit better about the failures I've experienced in my life. The point I'm really trying to get at though is that, like most motivational speakers and what not will say, failure brings about success.

My broken collar bone. Failure? I think so. I failed at having the best New Years Eve I've ever had and getting appropriately intoxicated. Plus I have to deal with a weak arm and shoulder for a few months coming. Where's the success? I have an interest in the field of nursing now. I'd be willing to break, let's say 2 more bones, if it allowed me to have a direction in my life. Now, let's hope, knock on wood, pray to whatever it is we do, that this doesn't actually happen.

So the premature termination of my friend's more than 2000 mile escapade is some sort of failure. He admits so, I think we all can, despite the circumstances. But I would like to commend my friend on having the courage to make the decision to turn around. It takes some serious will to ride miles of road already traversed, walk up to the ticket desk at the airport and purchase a ticket home. I think he found success in being able to make this decision. Finding out that you know when it's time to turn around and take one for the team will be invaluable to my friend. Beyond saving time and money, this ability can save lives.

Short and sweet. I'm glad my buddy is back home safely with his wife (newly weds). I think I was trying to point towards the "why so serious?" mentality with this one.

see the beauty, enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

shred

shred
My first show woot! 11/07