Tuesday, March 24, 2009

this is not fiction

I know I haven't followed up on my word, about this whole posting about my trip to Europe. I'm potentially writing up a longer document but I'm not promising anything. I think the best thing I can relate is that the trip was inspiring, in many small ways but also in a very big way. I'd take as motivation to make sure I'm moving on this year. At this rate, I don't see how I'll ever do the things I want, the way I want to do them. So as I've said many times before, change is required.

But for now, the non-fiction does not involve me. I'm usually less involved in taking my daily dose of the news, taking that few minutes everyday to browse cnn.com or turn on NPR. With the acquisition of my rental car (equipped with Sirius radio), NPR has been the only station I've listened to when in my car. Of course, I've done myself the favor of misplacing the car keys and have no way of driving at the moment. 

Driving to work one morning last week, I stumbled upon a program about Acrassicauda, the only metal band known to have come out of Iraq. A documentary, Heavy Metal in Baghdad, was released last year I believe, which followed the band for 3 or 4 years between the start of the band and their exile to Syria. I honestly have to suggest this film to everyone, regardless of whether or not you are open to heavy metal. I especially suggest this for anyone who hasn't watched any documentaries specifically on Iraq and post Sadam regime conditions. 

The film is less about the music than it is about the musicians being Iraqi and living in a country torn by civil war. Democracy is a joke, freedom is nonexistent. And these guys chose to play heavy metal amidst all the turmoil, risking their lives to pursue activities that were soon to be outlawed. Gun shots, mortar rounds, helicopters, body guards, mercenaries, the list goes on and on of common sites in the film. Every one of the band members, during interviews while living in Iraq, admit they have accepted the fact of death, and are ready to die at any moment.


The film basically blew my mind. I wouldn't invest too much into criticizing their music, as you will probably be doing a lot of it. It gets better near the end, but I imagine their resources are limited and won't be the one to judge. Watch this film to hear the story of the Iraqi men involved and the lives they are living. It's certainly a humbling story. 

From what I understand, the band was able to make it to America after having expired visas in Syria, relocating to Turkey by way of donations from people who knew the story and then selling their possessions to make the final leg. 

I wouldn't mind playing a show with these guys. 


2 comments:

shred

shred
My first show woot! 11/07